For the most part, Japanese network television is pretty darn unremarkable. If one were to flip through the channels at any time of day, one would likely find:via Japundit
- A variety show featuring a roomful of mindless “talents” who are completely and utterly devoid of any actual talent whatsoever
- A cooking program
- A cooking program featuring a roomful of mindless talents who watch food being cooked and then sample it and loudly and repeatedly exclaim “OISHII!!!“
- Some kind of quiz show
- A quiz show featuring a roomful of mindless talents demonstrating just how mindless they truly are
- A sappy documentary about someone somewhere in the world who faces some sort of adversity (e.g., is looking for a job, is living in a brutal war zone, was born without legs, a combination thereof, etc.) and who Tries His/Her Best® to overcome the hardships of their situation
- A variety show featuring a roomful of mindless talents watching a sappy documentary and providing their horribly forced reactions to the hardships (tears) and the overcoming of the hardships (more tears) for the sake of the television viewers at home who have to be instructed how to react since they have neither souls nor a capacity for empathy
I just have one tiny correction: Males are more likely to exclaim "UMAI!" instead of "OISHII!!!"
And one minor addition: NHK's lecture channel (Ch. 2 in my area), where a professorial talking head addresses his (sometimes her) dry monologue at the camera hour after snoring hour.