Why are there so few women in the academic hard sciences? Why are there so few conservatives in the academic humanities and soft sciences? Here are some frequently offered answers to each question. Are your answers the same to both questions?
1. They lack the required the mental capacity for such specialized intellectual endeavors.
2. They lack the necessary intellectual stamina.
3. They don't find such careers sufficiently rewarding, either personally or financially.
4. They are subtly--or not so subtly--discouraged by their potential mentors already established in the field.
5. They are not sufficiently willing to sacrifice their families or family values to pursue such demanding career goals.